Interact with organizations focused on conservation, and learn how to live more sustainably!
Celebrate Earth Day at the Downtown Earth Day Tour, a collaboration between the Science Center of Iowa, the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, the Riverwalk HUB and Iowa Rivers Revival on Saturday, April 20, 2019, from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm.
Enter to win a free one-year membership to both SCI and the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden as wells prizes from Iowa Rivers Revival by participating in the #earthdaytour photo challenge.
Go green and use the trail system and Principal Riverwalk to walk or bike between locations. Free secure bike parking is available in front of the Botanical Garden and the Science Center of Iowa thanks to Bike Valet by Dori. Pedicab rides between the Botanical Garden and SCI also will be available thanks to Des Bike.
Activities and vendors:
Science Center of Iowa | 401 W. Martin Luther King, Jr. Pkwy
- Experience a tornado chamber, anemometers (winds), thermometers, cloud charts and more with the National Weather Service
- Learn about composting with Green Iowa
- Explore the importance of pollinators and take home a milkweed plant for Monarch conservation with Des Moines Parks and Recreation
- View the National Weather Service’s flood model and build dams, cause rain, place trees and buildings in various areas, and watch how water runs off into rivers and floods
- Make buttons and coloring sheets with The Nature Conservancy
- Learn about “Plant.Grow.Fly.,” an initiative to protect native pollinators
- Check out the new Prius from Toyota of Des Moines
- Explore Iowa’s native plants and animals in SCI’s What On Earth? exhibit
Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden | 909 Robert D. Ray Drive
- Interact with local organizations including Blank Park Zoo, plantsync, Central Iowa Sierra Club, Keep Iowa Beautiful, DGMVA: Iowa’s Walking Club, Corteva, Des Moines Herb Study Group and Living History Farms
- Mix up a smoothie by a bike-powered blender with Element by Westin Hotel West Des Moines
- See the Iowa Bonsai Association’s Spring Show
- Visit a desert garden display exploring dry gardening, cacti and their uses
- Participate in a collective art project with a nature loom
- See “good” bug/”bad” bug demonstrations from Botanical Garden horticultural staff
- Explore indoor and outdoor gardens (weather-permitting), including activities with the Des Moines Children’s Museum
- Participate in a sustainability scavenger hunt and a take-home activity
Iowa Rivers Revival @ The Riverwalk HUB | 215 Water Street
- Enjoy spectacular views of the Des Moines River
- Learn about river conservation and dam safety
- Interact with local conservation organizations, including the Iowa Department of Natural Resources
- Grab lunch or a snack at the Riverwalk HUB cafe