Celebrate Earth Day at the 6th Annual Downtown Earth Day Tour
Science Center of Iowa partners with the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden and Iowa Rivers Revival
- Tuesday April 10, 2018
Celebrate Earth Day on Saturday, April 21, at the sixth annual Downtown Earth Day Tour, a collaboration between the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, the Science Center of Iowa & Blank IMAX Dome Theater (SCI), The Riverwalk Hub and Iowa Rivers Revival.
Each organization will feature a variety of activities from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. Attendees are encouraged to start at any of the locations and then use the trail system and Principal Riverwalk to walk or bike to the other locations. The Botanical Garden offers free admission all day thanks to Principal. Admission to SCI will be $5.
Downtown Earth Day Tour guests also can participate in a photo challenge by taking a photo at each location and sharing on social media using the hashtag #earthdaytour.
Activities and vendors include:
Science Center of Iowa | 401 W. Martin Luther King, Jr. Pkwy
- Learn about composting with Green Iowa AmeriCorps, and explore weather phenomena with the National Weather Service
- Check out Team PrISUm's competition solar car and the new Prius Prime from Toyota of Des Moines
- Interact with other local organizations including Des Moines Parks and Recreation, The Nature Conservancy, My Honey Bee Adventure and the U.S. Green Building Council - Iowa
- Create a take-home "stained glass" Earth suncatcher
- Explore SCI's exhibits, including What On Earth?, Why the Sky? and the final days of the traveling exhibition Tyrannosaurs: Meet the Family
- Free bicycle valet for secure parking
Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden | 909 Robert D. Ray Drive
- Interact with local organizations including Blank Park Zoo, plantsync, Global Greens, Volksport, Food Corps, Iowa Public Television, Brenton Arboretum, Des Moines Children's Museum, Des Moines Herb Study and Carolyn Weber (microgreens expert)
- Talk with conservation experts from Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge, Iowa Natural Heritage, Polk County Conservation and Metro Waste Authority
- Watch an Iowa Bonsai Association demonstration
- Visit a desert garden display exploring dry gardening, cacti and their uses
- Participate in a collective art project with bottle caps
- See “good” bug/”bad” bug demonstrations from Botanical Garden horticultural staff
- Explore indoor and outdoor gardens (weather-permitting)
- Participate in a sustainability scavenger hunt
Iowa Rivers Revival @ The Riverwalk Hub | 215 Water Street
- Enjoy spectacular views of the Des Moines River
- Learn about river conservation and dam safety
- Interact with local conservation organizations, including the Iowa Department of Natural Resources Grab lunch or a snack at the Riverwalk Hub cafe
Learn more at www.sciowa.org/earthday
About the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
The Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden is a vibrant, 14-acre public garden in the heart of downtown Des Moines. Guided by a mission of exploring, explaining and celebrating the world of plants, the Botanical Garden cultivates a signature guest experience through progressive garden design and innovative programming. The Botanical Garden is a 501(c)(3) privately governed, not-for-profit institution.
About The Riverwalk HUB
The Riverwalk HUB is a unique, award winning display of architecture that sits along the west bank of the Des Moines river in vibrant downtown Des Moines. The Riverwalk HUB offers food and refreshments including wine and Iowa craft beers in one of the more interesting spaces in town. Where Court Avenue meets the River!
About Iowa Rivers Revival
Iowa Rivers Revival (IRR) is a non-profit statewide leader in river education and advocacy and is committed to protecting some of our most precious natural resources – our rivers and streams. IRR works to engage individuals, organizations, communities, and government leaders in river awareness, responsibility, and enjoyment to improve and enhance the condition of Iowa waterways – ensuring a quality, safe and lasting resource for future generations.
About the Science Center of Iowa & Blank IMAX Dome Theater
The Science Center of Iowa engages and inspires Iowans along their journey of lifelong science learning. Centrally located in Downtown Des Moines, SCI features dynamic experience platforms, large format theaters and daily interactive science demonstrations. Through daily visitors, a statewide educational outreach program and the NAEYC-accredited SCI Preschool, the Science Center of Iowa serves more than 300,000 people annually.