Your membership starts the day it is purchased and expires at the end of the month in one calendar year. Example: If you purchased a membership on July 15, 2022, it will expire on July 31, 2023.
For questions regarding your digital SCI membership card, click here.
Who does my membership cover?
The level of your membership determines who it covers:
- Individual Plus One memberships allow the member listed on the card plus one guest into SCI.
- Family memberships allow two listed adults and all children ages 18 and younger living in the same household into SCI. Children's names and birthdates will be collected at time of purchase.
- Grandparent memberships allow the two listed grandparents living in the same household and all grandchildren ages 18 and younger into SCI. Grandchildren's names and birthdates will be collected at time of purchase.
- Plus Two memberships include all the benefits of a Family or Grandparent membership plus two additional unnamed guests per visit.
What are the benefits I receive as part of my membership?
Your membership allows you free, unlimited general admission to SCI year-round per our scheduled open days. (We are closed for the following holidays: Memorial Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.)
In addition you receive:
- FREE unlimited daily admission year-round
- 10% discount at the A-ha! Store
- Discounts and priority registration on camps
- Discounts on birthday parties and private events
- Two one-time use parking vouchers for the SCI Parking Garage
- Free or discounted admission to more than 300 other science centers for one year through our reciprocal membership program
How long does it take to process the membership that I just bought?
All memberships can take up to 7-10 days to be processed in our system.
I haven't received my two single-use parking passes. Can I have them mailed to me?
Parking passes are not mailed. Instead, they are available at the SCI front desk and are redeemable when you visit.
I purchased the Plus Two membership. Can my kids use it if I'm not there?
Yes! Plus Two memberships allow two guests of any age to visit SCI as long as they are with one member of the family. This means grandparents and babysitters can bring member children for free even if you aren't with them.
I am on vacation and forgot my membership card at home, but would like to visit the local science center. Can I still get in for free?
Your digital membership card allows you to participate in the Association of Science-Technology Centers' (ASTC) Passport Program. If you have not received your digital membership card, call 515-274-6868 ext. 4.
Can I purchase a membership for a relative or friend?
Yes! A gift membership is a gift that keeps giving. You can purchase gift memberships online, by phone or during your next visit to SCI. Note: Due to Association of Science-Technology Center rules, we are unable to extend memberships to those who live outside the state of Iowa.
I recently purchased general admission tickets and now want to become a member. Can I apply the money I paid for the general admission tickets towards my membership purchase?
As long as the point of sale was no longer than 5 to 7 days ago, you can apply the money you paid towards a new membership. To do this, please contact our membership team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 515-274-6868 ext. 4
Is my membership, or any portion, tax deductible?
No. SCI memberships are not tax deductible because there are goods and services exchanged for the purchase of your membership.
How can I access the digital membership portal?
All members have access to the digital membership portal specific to their membership. The portal allows you to update your address, add your digital membership card to your digital wallet and have access to exclusive content and announcements.
Can I receive physical membership cards instead of digital membership cards?
All members of the Science Center of Iowa receive digital membership cards by default. If your membership also includes the Blank Park Zoo and/or Living History Farms, you will receive digital membership cards from each organization. If you would like a physical card in addition to your digital card from SCI, there is a $5 materials fee. You can request physical membership cards by emailing email@example.com or calling 515-274-6868 ext. 4.
Can I change my membership level?
Your membership can be upgraded at any time to a higher membership level or to include the Blank Park Zoo and/or Living History Farms. Memberships cannot be downgraded to a lower level. The organization(s) included in a membership cannot be switched. For any issues with your membership level, please contact our membership team within seven days of purchase by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 515-274-6868 ext. 4.
I purchased an SCI membership and would like to add the Blank Park Zoo and/or Living History Farms to my membership. Can I do that?
Yes. You may upgrade your membership to a Combo or TRI membership at any time within the first nine months of your membership. If you are within three months of your expiration, you may renew your membership early at the Combo level.
I currently have a SCI/Combo/TRI membership and would like to renew early. How do I do that?
If you are a current member you are able to renew your membership early at the same level any time before the expiration date. You can renew online by clicking the "Become a Member" button on the membership home page and signing in using the e-mail address associated with your membership. Alternatively, contact our membership team by emailing email@example.com or calling 515-274-6868 ext. 4.
How do public libraries sign up for the Iowa Library Adventure Pass program?
Click on the following link to learn more. Library Adventure Pass Program
How do I contact the membership department for questions?
Phone: 515-274-6868 ext. 4
Policies of Membership
- SCI, Combo and TRI memberships are nonrefundable and nontransferable. All are valid for one year and expire on the last day of the month your purchase was made.
- SCI recognizes the Association of Science and Technology Centers' Passport Program residency restrictions with regard to reciprocal membership. To receive free or discounted admission to other science centers nationwide, you must live more than 90 miles away from the science center or museum you wish to visit. Admissions staff reserve the right to request proof of residence for benefits to apply. Contact SCI's membership department with questions.
- The Science Center of Iowa reserves the right to terminate or deny membership at any time. Cause for termination can include showing disrespectful behavior towards the exhibits, staff or guests of the science center; inappropriate conduct, including, but not limited to, conduct that is disruptive, abusive or violent; or for failing to comply with membership terms and conditions or abusing privileges.