Looking for experiences and programming that supplement your homechool science curriculum?
SCI homeschool programming supports the Iowa Core and National Science Standards and is accurate, relevant and fun! Your Science Center of Iowa experience will reflect the quality of our fully accredited institution, endorsed by AAM and ASTC.
Homeschool Science Series
With hands-on workshops for students and parents, the Homeschool Science Series is a unique opportunity for homeschoolers to enhance their curriculum through STEM programming led by SCI staff.
Workshops also provide an opportunity for homeschoolers to share ideas and expand their network of like-minded learners.
The Homeschool Science Series will be held in SCI’s lab spaces and experience platforms. Each workshop will provide ideas and a challenge related to that session's theme.
2019-2020 Theme: Passport to Innovation
In celebration of our new Innovation Lab, we will spend the year exploring different innovators and the impact they've had on the world. Each workshop, students will learn about an innovative person in their field. An Innovator's Challenge will be posed based on that workshop's theme, and students will be provided tools and materials to work towards a solution.
Upcoming Workshops (scroll down for details):
- October 2 | Thomas Edison
- October 16 | Georgia O'Keefe
- October 30 | The Wright Brothers
- November 6 | Rosalind Franklin
- February 5 | Alexander Graham Bell
- February 19 | Ada Lovelace & Grace Hopper
- March 4 | George Washington Carver
- April 1 | Indira Gandhi - Postponed due to COVID-19. We will try to reschedule once SCI reopens to the public!
- April 8 | Innovation Showcase - Postponed due to COVID-19. We will try to reschedule once SCI reopens to the public!
To accommodate a variety of skills and learning levels, two tracks are available for Homeschool Science Series workshops:
- Novice (ages 4–8)
- Practioner (ages 9–14)
- BONUS: Parents are invited to take part in a concurrent workshop that will support the learning of their students.
- SCI Members = $10 per child
- Non-members = $19 per child
Workshop registration includes materials and admission to SCI for the day. Parents receive free workshop admission. Additional children over the age of two will need to purchase ticket for admission.
To register for workshops, click the button below and find the date of your workshop or call the SCI Sales Office at 515-274-6868 ext. 222.
Contact the Education Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-274-6868 ext. 255.