Pint Size Science provides a platform for young children to explore science in a highly engaging, interactive and safe manner.
Grade Levels: Pre-K–2
Using a hands-on approach that engages and inspires young minds to explore scientific phenomena, Pint Size Science works not only to build science understanding but also to respond to the ever-changing interests and abilities of children.
The 2018–2019 Pint Size Science kit includes four modules for each implementer. All participants will receive the introductory module, "Science Sprouts," which serves as an introduction to the STEM fields and scientific investigation. Then, recognizing the need to be flexible to existing school curriculum, materials and needs of organizations, schools and students, Pint Size Science allows LEA’s to pick the remaining three modules to complete their set of instructional materials.
Implementers choose one module from each of the following groups:
Group 1 — Select one module.
- Bits and Bots provides a beginning step for students in learning programming and coding.
- Colorful Chemistry introduces young learners to the three phases of matter found on earth: solids, liquids and gases.
- Tiny Tinkerers brings the Maker Movement to the early childhood learning environment.
Group 2 — Select one module.
- Classifying Creatures develops math skills in sorting and classifying as children observe and compare features of a variety of animals and insects.
- Mini Meteorologist inspires students to measure and understand the weather happening around us.
- Homes and Habitats challenges students to think about where different animals live based on their environments.
Group 3 — Select one module.
- Exploring Engineering continues children’s natural curiosity in to how things work.
- Push and Pull investigates the forces that cause motion.
- Fascinating Farmers brings the world of agriculture to young children.
Additionally, each Pint Size Science session includes a literacy component, where every class reads a book that pulls together the most important ideas of the STEM topic being discussed. Fundamental mathematical skills are also reinforced through activities, including counting, numbering and recognizing geometrical shapes.
A kit for four curriculum modules, which includes lesson plans with opportunities for adaptations to the needs of local audiences.
All necessary supplies and materials to conduct each program module.
Professional development training to create deeper connections and instructional techniques to implement a STEM rich environment with a focus on inquiry, project-based learning, questioning & evaluation of student learning.
Access to the Pint Size Science microsite, which contains additional resources, including a variety of videos and assessments.
Multiple webinar sessions throughout the year to allow for continued professional development and collaboration among implementers.
2018–2019 STEM Scale-Up Program
Educators can apply to bring Pint Size Science to their classroom for free through the Iowa Governor's STEM Scale-Up Program.
Apply online by March 5.
Contact our Director of Innovative STEM Teaching at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pint Size Science Educator Resources
Current Pint Size Science implementers, log in here to access additional resources.