Bring learning to life at the Science Center of Iowa!
Centrally located in Downtown Des Moines, SCI features hands-on exhibits, special-format theaters and unique programming to encourage learning and fun for all ages. With live science demonstrations, a 50-foot planetarium and interactive experiences around every corner, there's always more to explore!
- Themed experience platforms and hands-on exhibits
- Live programs and demonstrations by the SCI Programs Team
- The Star Theater, a 50-foot planetarium
- The six-story Blank IMAX Dome Theater (currently closed)
- The Food Chain Café for pizza, snacks and drinks
- The A-ha! Store, featuring gizmos and gadgets of all sorts
Shopping & Dining
Visit the A-ha! Store to take something home as a reminder of your visit! You'll find everything from gadgets to gizmos and from kits to contraptions in the A-ha! Store, located near the entrance to SCI. Members enjoy a 10% discount on every purchase. Some popular items include:
- GoldieBlox kits
- Stomp Rockets
- Telescopes & Microscopes
- And much more!
Looking for something specific? Give us a call at 515-274-6868 or email email@example.com.
The Food Chain Cafe is currently closed as we navigate the impacts of COVID-19. Snacks and drinks are available in the A-ha! Store.
SCI is fully handicap accessible, and wheelchairs are available free of charge for use during your visit.
Live program scripts are available for those with hearing impairment - just ask for a copy at our Box Office.
- Sensory Input Guides – Signs are posted throughout the building indicating audio, visual and tactile stimuli.
- Sensory Guide – This guide features coded maps, which indicate audio, visual and tactile stimuli in each space throughout the building. View Sensory Guide
- Social Story – Prepare for your visit by walking through the experience before you get here! View Social Story
- Sensory Backpacks – Available for checkout at the SCI Box Office, these backpacks are filled with tools to help you tailor your experience, including noise-reducing headphones, sunglasses, weighted stuffed animals and fidget materials.
- Sensory-Friendly Hours – On the first Saturday of the month from 8:30–10:00 am, October through May, we provide a quieter, less crowded experience for families with children on the autism spectrum. Learn more
Additional Visitor Information
Covered garage parking is available just across the street from SCI's main entrance. Hourly rate is $3 for the first hour & $1 for each additional hour.
An ATM is located in the Lobby near the A-ha! Store.
Want the latest news about SCI? Sign up for our monthly newsletter.