Classification: Part-time, Non-exempt
Reports To: Preschool Manager
Direct Reports: No
The Preschool Associate Teacher is responsible for assisting the implementation of the Science Center of Iowa preschool program. This position must have patience for children and the ability to engage them and earn their trust and attention. The goal is to contribute to the healthy mental and emotional development of the child so they can more easily acclimate to the next level of education.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation, and perform other duties as assigned.
- Assist with classroom activities
- Prepare, clean and maintain classroom for daily use
- Meet with classroom teacher to devise daily plans and prepare materials for daily use
- Attend meetings with preschool staff once a month for planning activities of the ensuing month
- Attend and assist with parent/preschooler special events during the school year
- Assist with oversight of children to ensure they are safe and engaged in the programming
- Follow all policies and procedures of the Science Center of Iowa and the Preschool
- Please note this job description does not contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job; duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have direct supervisory responsibilities.
Education, Experience and/or Other Requirements:
- Maintain current First Aid, Universal Precautions, CPR and Mandadory Reporter credentials
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Has a passion and love for all young children and their families
- Acquire 6 continuing education hours each year
- Ability to work independently while also constructively contributing in a team environment
- Possesses character qualities such as patience, creativity, flexibility, joyfulness and endurance
- Trustworthy and of high integrity, showing high respect for confidential information
- Pass a physical examination and TB test every 2 years
- Successfully pass a background check and DCI fingerprinting
- Para associate I and II or CDA or AA in Early Childhood
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. This position is primarily focused on time with children and will require prolonged periods of standing and walking throughout the program space. The employee will also need to sit and stand on the floor throughout the day and bend, kneel, stoop, crawl and crouch to be at eye level with children. The employee may be required to regularly lift and/or move items up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
Hours & Work Schedule: Hours will vary based on business needs and may include days, evenings, weekends and holidays. Typically, no travel will be required.