Local Organizations Partner for Annual Downtown Earth Day Tour Saturday, April 22
- Wednesday April 19, 2017
DES MOINES, Iowa: Celebrate Earth Day on Saturday, April 22nd at the fifth annual Downtown Earth Day Tour, a joint collaboration between the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, The Science Center of Iowa & Blank IMAX Dome Theater (SCI), The Riverwalk Hub, and Iowa Rivers Revival.
Sponsored by Principal, each location offers FREE admission and will host a variety of activities on Saturday, April 22, from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. The public is encouraged to start at any of the locations and then use the trail system and Principal Riverwalk to walk or bike to the other locations. The first 200 guests at both the Science Center of Iowa and the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden will receive a free Principal reusable bag.
Downtown Earth Day Tour guests can also participate in a scavenger hunt between the locations and turn in the completed form to be entered to win a prize package, including memberships from SCI, the Botanical Garden and merchandise from DART.
Activities at the various locations include:
Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden | 909 Robert D. Ray Drive
- Interact with local organizations, including Brenton Arboretum, Living History Farms, Urban Ambassadors, Des Moines Herb Study Group, Global Greens, Metro Waste Authority, Plant Sync, Sierra Club
- Iowa Bonsai Association spring bonsai show
- Participate in a collective art project
- Good bug/bad bug demonstrations from the Botanical Garden horticultural staff
- Recycled make and take activity with native wildflowers for people to transplant into paper pots
- Explore both the indoor and outdoor gardens
- Make a take-home pollinator planting
- Interact with local conservation organizations, including Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge, Polk County Conservation and Metro Waste Authority
Science Center of Iowa | 400 W. Martin Luther King, Jr. Pkwy
- Share, trade and display your best finds from nature in the Collectors' Corner mini exhibit
- Explore the traveling exhibit Wild Music and catch nature-themed programming, including Cold-Blooded Critters
- Interact with local conservation organizations
- Free bicycle valet for secure parking (Provided by the Des Moines Bicycle Collective)
Iowa Rivers Revival @ The Riverwalk Hub | 215 Water Street
- Enjoy spectacular views of the Des Moines River
- Learn about river conservation and dam mitigation
- Interact with local conservation organizations, including the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and the Environmental Law and Policy Center
- Grab lunch or a snack at the Riverwalk Hub's Trellis Café
About the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
The Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden is a vibrant, 14-acre public garden in the heart of downtown Des Moines. Guided by a mission of exploring, explaining and celebrating the world of plants, the Botanical Garden cultivates a signature guest experience through progressive garden design and innovative programming. The Botanical Garden is a 501(c)(3) privately governed, not-for-profit institution.
About the Science Center of Iowa & Blank IMAX Dome Theater
The Science Center of Iowa engages and inspires Iowans along their journey of lifelong science learning. The 110,000-sq. ft facility located in Downtown Des Moines features dynamic experience platforms, large format theaters and daily interactive science demonstrations. Through daily visitors, a statewide educational outreach programs and the NAEYC-accredited SCI Preschool, the Science Center of Iowa serves more than 300,000 people annually.