Did you know that 73% of people can't name a living scientist? Portal to the Public is a national program designed to change that statistic.
Portal to the Public brings scientists and public audiences together in face-to-face public interactions.
Through Portal to the Public, scientists receive professional development training on how to share their research with the non-scientific community. Then, they have the opportunity to visit SCI, engage visitors with hands-on demos and explain their field of work.
These interactions benefit both the public and the scientists! By meeting real-life scientists, the public gains a greater appreciation and understanding of current scientific research and its application — and children learn about fields they may never have considered.
Want to become a Portal to the Public scientist?
We're recruiting a team of scientists, researchers and other science-based professionals from Central Iowa to develop and deliver hands-on and engaging public outreach programming. Participants will join the Science Center of Iowa in inspiring lifelong interest in science, technology, engineering and math.
SCI will provide professional development training sessions focused on building skills to effectively engage public audiences. Then, each participant will develop a hands-on educational activity related to their area of work and will have the opportunity to engage with the public through SCI events, classroom events, fairs and festivals.
- Mohan Dasari, chemical engineer and Director of Research and Development and Lab Services at Feed Energy, FEC Solutions
- Adam Dolezal, entomologist and ISU PhD Candidate
- Steven Faux, Drake University associate professor of Psychology and Director of the Neuroscience major
- Tony Flatness, research associate at Kemin Industries
- Amy Gefree, entomologist and ISU technical staff
- Laura Higgins, entomologist and Program Lead at DuPont Pioneer
- Wenny Jean, family physician at Urbandale Family Physicians
- Melissa Telemeco, entomologist and ISU masters student
- Amy Toth, entomologist and ISU assistant professor
- Alex Walton, entomologist and ISU postdoctoral associate
- Gavin Warnock, Grinnell college student of physics and studio art
- Sarah Willis, astrophysicist
Contact our Education Team at email@example.com.